Friday, April 1, 2011

My Course Reflection...


 I can't believe that our last class is this week! Wow... it seems like only yesterday we were meeting in the IT Lab with Dr. Lee for the first time (quickly migrating to the seminar room in 2-17) on January 20th. Now, we are at the end of the road, at least for this course. We've had quite a journey since the beginning, and the memories of each class flicker in my mind like a photo album of visual learning.

 This class reminded me of my undergraduate education at Rowan University as a Communication: Radio/TV/Film student, wherein I would study various mediums of mass media and their effectiveness and overall impact on people through sight and sound. Exploring the spectrum of visual communication in this class has proven to be nothing short of sheer enlightenment. I enjoyed each class and the learning that transpired from conversation and instruction.

 Our first class together was long, but very informative and enlightening! Following that class, we were given the assignment of reading "The Visual Literacy White Paper" and completing a summary of the article, thus commencing our readings of various articles of or relating to visual design. I learned much from these readings and my perspective has been enhanced. It was a lot of fun identifying visual symbols to represent who I am as a person. Furthermore, I think that I have changed as a person as a result of this class.

 In regard to my teaching, I have begun to incorporate more visual literacy techniques and strategies to promote student identification and utilization of images as symbols and metaphors. It's important for students, especially within the realm of language arts to be able to comprehend information that is abstract in nature. Imagination is a key component to learning, and I believe that we should do more to engage students in educational opportunities in which they can explore their creative side. I have a wealth of new ideas and a newfound perspective on this as a result of my coursework for this class.

 Overall, this class proved to be interesting and worthwhile. I really liked the different types of projects that we were assigned, because I feel like I took different things from each. However, I did feel that the article summaries were a little much. I think that the class could have benefited more through collegial conversation as opposed to written summaries. Nonetheless, it's just an idea. I can't believe it's over, but as with most things in life, as one door closes - another opens. See you next week, Dr. Lee!

No comments:

Post a Comment